About the Diabetes Care Program
The Diabetes Care Program is a patient care program for people with diabetes. Our Diabetes Manager works with you and your primary care physician to help you set and achieve your diabetes self-management goals.
The program includes:
- Group classes
- Individual Counseling
- Education on diabetes medications
- Education on healthy nutrition to help with your diabetes
- Help with setting diabetes management goals
- Help with developing a plan to manage your diabetes
- You will also work with a Registered Dietician
This will help you:
- Understand special dietary considerations for your condition
- Develop a system for monitoring your diet
- Learn which foods to avoid
- Learn how to be successful when dining out
- Get recommendations for recipes that work for your condition
View the following reputable sources to find helpful information on managing diabetes.
“The Center provides state-of-the-art diabetes care to >7,500 active patients: 4,600 children and 2,900 adults with diabetes from the Rocky Mountain Region as well as receiving national and international referrals. We provide inpatient care to patients with any type of diabetes who are seen at the Children’s Hospital Colorado. We serve remote areas of the Rocky Mountain Region through our telemedicine program. The division also features clinical epidemiology studies including multicenter studies and trials with partners around the world.
Barbara Davis Center serves more than 90% of Colorado children diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. According to the SEARCH for Diabetes in Youth study, over the past ten years BDC provided care to 3,222 of the ~3,500 children who were diagnosed in Colorado. Completing more than 20,000 ambulatory encounters per year, BDC is the largest outpatient clinic for patients with type 1 diabetes in the U.S. and possibly the world. BDC professionals include physicians, nurses, dieticians, social workers, and a pharmacist dedicated to the special needs of pediatric and adult patients.”
Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists
Wray Hospital & Clinic is accredited through the ADCES. On their website you will find useful patient resources and education for all ages. See below to find just a few of their educational articles.